This easy shredded Mexican chicken recipe is so easy to make and produces an extremely flavorful meal for a large group of people. Keto, Paleo, and Whole30 approved!
This recipe uses an entire package of chicken drumsticks weighing about 4.5 pounds. Chicken drumsticks are used in this recipe compared to other cuts of chicken due to the softness and tenderness of the dark meat. Feel free to use a different cut such as thigh, or even combine some white meat with dark meat for a variety of texture in the dish
The spice mix combines a salty, savory, and spicy for a perfect amalgamation of flavors and pallet. As with any dish, adjust the amount of cayenne pepper for how spicy you want the chicken to be.
This easy shredded Mexican chicken recipe is a great cost effective meal because chicken drumsticks are one of the cheapest parts of the chicken. I was able to purchase around 4.5 lb of chicken drumsticks from my local Aldi for only about $4.50. Combine the cost with half an onion, jalapeno, garlic, and spices, and you are looking at a meal that costs around only $0.25 per serving.
This recipe uses wholesome ingredients and no filler or premade stuff, so the nutrition is relatively healthy. Because of the macro nutrients, this meal can easily fit into most diets, including Keto, Paleo, and Whole30. This recipe is high in protein, low in carbs, and moderate in fat content.
Easy Shredded Mexican Chicken
- 4 lb chicken drumsticks
- 1 tbsp avocado oil
- 1/2 yellow onion
- 1 jalapeno
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/2 tbsp salt
- 1/2 tbsp pepper
- 1/2 tbsp cumin
- 1/2 tbsp onion powder
- 1/2 tbsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tbsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 tbsp sweet paprika
- Preheat oven to 375 F
- Place chicken drumsticks on foil on a cookie sheet and bake in oven for 35 minutes
- Flip chicken drumsticks and bake in oven for 40 more minutes or until proper internal temperature of 165 F
- Using either two forks, meat claws, or gloves, take chicken off bone and place in a large bowl. Try to remove any skin or fatty pieces
- Once all the chicken is in a bowl, place on a cutting board and cut to desired texture (coarsely chop for thicker pieces, chop a lot for thinner pieces)
- Heat a large skillet or pan over medium heat and place avocado oil in pan
- Dice onion and jalapeno and add to heated pan, saute for 5 minutes or until golden brown
- Add chicken to the pan
- Add all spices to the pan and stir in properly